Saturday, 1 March 2014

Monochrome Floral Smock Dress







Look what I made! The photos aren't great but i'm sure i'll post an outfit post shortly featuring it!
I used a smock dress i already own to help construct a basic pattern, and adjusted as i went along. This STUNNING fabric was purchased at John Lewis. It is a cotton fabric, with a little elastane to add a lovely bit of stretch. As soon as i locked eyes with the gorgeous monochrome print, i knew it had to be mine! At £8 a metre it wasn't cheap, but the quality is fantastic so very much worth it! I used 2 metres for this dress, making this dress the equivalent of £16 - saves me spending the pennies in Topshop, eh! 

The Great British Sewing Bee inspired me to FINALLY get this project started, and influenced the facing on the inside too! Look at that under stitch - do you reckon Mary would be proud?

I am absolutely thrilled with the result! Anyone who has made their own clothes will understand how special I feel wearing this! And does it look homemade? I sure as hell hope not! I'm in love with the smock dress trend, it is flattering and hides that winter hibernation belly! 
I'm hoping to use a similar pattern to create a long-sleeved version, and perhaps one in a more complex repeating print to test my matching skills!

My flatmates are already putting in their requests for my future projects, looks like i'm going to be busy!

Laters

xo

1 comment:

  1. I CAN'T believe you MADE THIS!
    I was hoping for a link to buy my own ;)
    Go You! Thats AMAZING,
    Maybe you could start your own business?
    You'd sure get custom from me!


    Oh, I have a giveaway at the moment! Would love you to enter. Kelly from |Daydreams & Daisychains

    ReplyDelete